Thursday 20 August 2009

Sunday Bakathon



On the same Sunday morning that saw me conquer the lemon drizzle disaster I also needed to use up a carton of buttermilk. Most of the buttermilk recipes I've collected are bundt cake ones which I adore. I never tire of looking at (and picking at)the cracked top as it cools in the tin before turning it out and marvelling at the smooth underside. Plus they're dream cakes for slicing and sharing.

A mixture of fresh and frozen blueberries along with just enough lemons left from the nemesis cake and I was good to go with this recipe from Bonappetit. This cake is delicious and was a hit with everyone. Don't forget to coat the blueberries in flour to distribute them evenly throughout the batter.

And, because I can never bake just one cake I also attempted these apple muffins from Smitten Kitchen (there was also a Victoria Sandwich, but more on that another time).



I'm not won over by these muffins. I think the memory of the apple and date cake is still too wondrously fresh for another apple based recipe. I didn't help by not chopping the apple into small enough pieces - again my lack of forward thinking meant I didn't fully consider the end muffin sized product. However, the crumb was lovely and light and the smell alone whilst they were baking was wonderful

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Your cake looks delicious! Thanks so much for the comment on my blog, and for reading. :) I'm so glad you liked the oatmeal! It's become one of my staple breakfasts, even in summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also trying to work out how to use up leftover buttermilk - scones and pancakes are good quick ways to use it up - I have wondered about adding it to soups as well

    ReplyDelete